Cre8asiteforums

Discussing Web Design & Marketing Since 1998

• Announcements

• cre8pc

Thank you! Cre8asiteforums 1998 - 2018   01/18/2018

Internet Marketing Ninjas released many of the online forums they had acquired, such as WebmasterWorld, SEOChat, several DevShed properties and these forums back to their founders. You will notice a new user interface for Cre8asiteforums, the software was upgraded, and it was moved to a new server. Thank you for your support as we turn 20 years old.  

I was asked about this but it's out of my wheelhouse.  Anyone up on this one? 

The ad industry's Trustworthy Accountability Group will require publishers to implement the anti-fraud tool ads.txt in order to receive a "certified against fraud" seal, the organization said Thursday.

Publishers will have until July 1 to adopt the tool, which aims to prevent advertisers from buying unauthorized inventory programmatically. Publishers that implement ads.txt -- which stands for Authorized Digital Sellers -- post indexes of their authorized sellers; buyers of ad inventory can then use that information to screen out unauthorized sellers.

TAG Requires Publishers To Use Ads.Txt

I've read several articles about ads.txt and not one of them made any sense. 

Oh my, that's a huge oversight on my part. I thought we must have discussed this previously but after doing some quick searches I guess not.

FIRST, though a PSA:
The critical ads info that everyone needs to know (besides ads.txt and I'll try to get a post on that as soon as I can get a moment) is that:

** An update on Better Ads , developers.google, 19-December-2017.

Starting on February 15, in line with the Coalition's guidelines, Chrome will remove all ads from sites that have a "failing" status in the Ad Experience Report for more than 30 days.[/b]

* Framework for a Better Ads Experience Program [PDF 373KB], CBA (Coalition for Better Ads), 18-December-2017.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Quick overview, intro. Questions please ask. I'll answer as I can.

* Declare authorized sellers with ads.txt List authorized sellers in a text file on your root domain.
---DoubleClick for Publishers Help

Authorized Digital Sellers, or ads.txt, is an IAB initiative to improve transparency in programmatic advertising. Publishers can create their own ads.txt files to identify who is authorized to sell their inventory. The files are publicly available and crawlable by buyers, third-party vendors, and exchanges.

Use of ads.txt is not mandatory, but is highly recommended. The ads.txt file can help you protect your brand from counterfeit inventory that is intentionally mislabelled as originating from a specific domain, app, or video. Declaring authorized sellers can help you receive more advertiser spend that might have otherwise gone toward counterfeit inventory.

* What is the ads.text project?, IAB Tech Lab

The ads.txt project aims to prevent various types of counterfeit inventory across the ecosystem by improving transparency in the digital programmatic supply chain.

When a brand advertiser buys media programmatically, they rely on the fact that the URLs they purchase were legitimately sold by those publishers. The problem is, there is currently no way for a buyer to confirm who is responsible for selling those impressions across exchanges, and there are many different scenarios when the URL passed may not be an accurate representation of what the impression actually is or who is selling it. While every impression already includes publisher information from the OpenRTB protocol, including the page URL and Publisher.ID, there is no record or information confirming who owns each Publisher.ID, nor any way to confirm the validity of the information sent in the RTB bid request, leaving the door open to counterfeit inventory.

Ads.txt works by creating a publicly accessible record of authorized digital sellers for publisher inventory that programmatic buyers can index and reference if they wish to purchase inventory from authorized sellers. First, participating publishers must post their list of authorized sellers to their domain. Programmatic buyers can then crawl the web for publisher ads.txt files to create a list of authorized sellers for each participating publisher. Then programmatic buyers can create a filter to match their ads.txt list against the data provided in the OpenRTB bid request.

* Ads.txt – Authorized Digital Sellers, IAB Tech Lab.

CRITICAL Note: some webdevs are on hosts without access to the root domain.
---if there is no ads.txt file then there is no technical problem as the program is voluntary. However, it may impact ad inventory as programatic advertisers may exclude your site(s) from their buys.

---if there is an ads.txt file AND your publisher ID is not included then Google (and possibly others) may exclude your sites.

Domains where an ads.txt file is posted, but the seller’s publisher ID is not authorized in the file are no longer monetized through Ad Exchange, and Google no longer buys ads on such sites. To prevent impact to your earnings, we recommend updating your ads.txt files to include publisher IDs for each site you want to monetize (learn how to update ads.txt in DFP). If you use Network Partner Management, we recommend working with your network partners to include your publisher ID in their ads.txt files.

• Thanks 1

I sent this off to the person asking me for info. Thank you so much!!!!

Added: since I maintain his site and they have ads, I guess I better pay attention to this :)

Thank you, iamlost.

I read your posts and suggested articles today and have an ads.txt file in place.  It was easy... but after reading what Google sent me I was confused.

Thanks again!

Wonderful, now all I have to do is programmatically scrape competitordomain + ads.txt to find out those "trusted networks". I can almost spell the warrior forum PDF and tool on the horizon.

!

OUCH! I forgot the last digit of my code and they wrote me