Cre8asiteforums

Discussing Web Design & Marketing Since 1998

• Announcements

• cre8pc

Thank you! Cre8asiteforums 1998 - 2018   01/18/2018

Internet Marketing Ninjas released many of the online forums they had acquired, such as WebmasterWorld, SEOChat, several DevShed properties and these forums back to their founders. You will notice a new user interface for Cre8asiteforums, the software was upgraded, and it was moved to a new server. Thank you for your support as we turn 20 years old.  

Chrome 64 is now live. 4-days earlier than predicted.

That means that Chrome's 'ad blocking' version aka if a site is listed as failing the Better Ad Standards aka being listed in Google's Ad Experience Report as failing for 30 days. An update on Better Ads, developers.google, 19-December-2017.

Note: as the Ad Experience Report is part of the Webmasters Console or whatever it's called these days and I refuse to be tied to nanny G's apron strings I will merely abide by the Initial Better Ads Standards: Standards and Better Ads Standards: Research, BetterAdsOrg, requirements/suggestions.

Note: initial reports are mentioning that visiting some sites, including YouTube, with Chrome64 is throwing up a browser modal window asking if the user wants to block ads; other sites not. Given that not all sites have been crawled to ascertain compliance - and that the threshold is 30 days not - I expect that it will be a couple of months before sites start seeing blocked ads in Chrome. In the interim clean sites that have been crawled should continue to show no warnings.

CRITICAL Note: ads.txt is also an immediate requirement for many ad networks including Google's.
For reference: Ads.Txt What is this?, Cre8, 25-January-2018.

• Thanks 1

Thank you!

I have an ads.txt file up on one of my sites.   We will upload to the others on Monday. 

Only one of my sites has been reviewed.

• Like 1

Our sites don't carry ads.  But thanks for the references Iamlost.  Helpful.

ads.txt still a bit vague. If not using ads, like you, what? An empty file? How is that different than no file?

I got an example from G themselves for users of adsense (and I am adding if you use adsense). It's up there.

I know it is an industry thing and who is the dominant player in the industry and who owns the dominant browser where this takes effect.

Almost sounds like a mafia don protecting his turf

Edited by bobbb

ads.txt is to assist G et al properly attribute ads; yes there is a whole lot of ad misrepresentation, misattribution slight of digital hand going on and as is often the case G et al are unable to actually tell the good from the bad from the ugly.
Note: millions yes millions of fake ads (at ~10 per second!) have been and still are sold on exchanges, i.e. AdEx, AppNexus, BrightRoll, PubMatic, via spoofed publisher sites, etc.

Because so many ads are sold programmatically these days (80% of third party display ads) rather than turn off such a profitable tap they went for an algo friendly solution: ads.txt.
That it puts the solution cost/effort onto publishers is just icing on the profit cake.

If you do NOT use third party advertising (that requires it) then there is no point to include ads.txt.
Just as if you do NOT use Apache there is no point to include apache2.conf/httpd.conf/.htaccess

---------------------------

I still have AdSense (on less than 10% of pages) so I added ads.txt. Should I ever drop AS altogether and go strictly direct ad/af I'll remove it.

About these things which crawl to check compliance. They will probably come from a data centre. I know, because you said so, that you block most if not all data centre IP blocks. I do too for some who have proved to be a PITA.

There goes the checking. I often see GrapeCrawler (or something) check a page soon after it was visited. I knock them out half of the time because they share a block with really PITA IPs.  There are others. Guess I'll have to do a more thorough check.

Ah Google #$%?

Yes, I have a rather limited white list of allowed crawlers and even they are confirmed via RDNS and kicked if they transgress allowed conditions. :) With the uptake of 'the cloud' simply blacklisting data centres has become increasingly counterproductive so now I primarily variously block on user-agent which gets the idjit 50% and on behaviour, which gets most of the rest - eventually.

The IAB Tech Lab open sourced a crawler just for ads.txt so there will be a zillion permutations. Fortunately, ads.txt is a text file at root and there is no requirement/need for it to do other than request ads.txt, which means that further/other requests can be denied.