Discussing Web Design & Marketing Since 1998

Sign in to follow this  

Another Digital Ad "Dirty Little Secret" Exposed

It is quite fascinating, the number of 'dirty' little secrets that exist(ed) in web advertising. Perhaps the greatest longest running con was the 'impressions' gambit, however the subsequent '1/2 viewable for 1-second' replacement still means that one is paying for less than 5% of what is actually being 'seen'; 'viewable' and 'seen' not being synonymous.

Now comes Ebiquity’s Re-Evaluating Media report done for Radiocentre. It evaluates the UK's 10 major media channels: direct mail, magazines, newspapers, online display, online video, out-of-home, radio, social media, and TV, by comparing the perceptions of advertisers and ad agencies on the various advertising media with the reality (based on third party data of targeting, ROI, emotional response, and brand salience) of what each of these channels actually brings.

First: how the advertisers and agencies ranked the channels:
1. TV
2. online video
3. social media
4. out of home
5. cinema
6. radio
7. newspapers
8. direct mail
9. online display
10. magazines

Second: what 'reality' has to say:
1. TV
2. radio
3. newspapers
4. magazines
5. out of home
6. direct mail
7. social media
8. cinema
9. online video
10. online display

So, if the beliefs and realities are so very different why do the 'experts' get things so 'wrong'?
* traditional media commissions average ~3%.
* digital media commissions average ~9%.
...has a bearing?

I had heard elsewhere (on TV and radio) that TV and radio were still top dog. I thought it weird then wondered why Trivago, Hotels.com, and the rest advertise a website on TV. Hmmmm.

Putting aside the obvious $ motivation for stats 1, I still have to ask: Who is doing the second 'reality' stats? or how did we come to that?

For 3. newspapers and 4. magazines I still struggle to understand how 'viewable' and not necessarily 'seen' for a website is any different than 'printed' and not necessarily 'seen' for a newspaper or magazine. I understand front page and last page costing the most.

Are both reports measuring the same people? I presume not but there must be some overlap. Does it matter? I guess it's what works best.

Presuming they are not measuring the same people, which group is more profitable?

Edited by bobbb