Cre8asiteforums

Discussing Web Design & Marketing Since 1998
Closing May 25. Investment Opportunity.

cre8pc

Do You Follow a Specific Diet Plan For Health Reasons? Paleo, Keto, Vegan, etc.

How do people around the world choose a specific way of eating? Do you follow a weight watcher plan, or ingredients based, or guided by health condition, or are building muscle, losing weight, pretty much an "This is how I do it and why" thing.

Do you use exercise videos? Take classes? Go to the gym?

Is there anyone who inspires you in the health and fitness field?

Back in the day I watched Jane Fonda exercise...

fonda.jpg.79cd26bc40aad5116dde4a492358190a.jpg

When I was younger I was amazingly fit (not as sure about healthy, the two terms are not synonymous) but age brings change and I haven't adapted as well as I should. I'm not overweight in the sense that I still weigh about what I did back then, however there is much less muscle and much more flubber... and, yes, I need to find time to exercise more; my diet is decent as in healthily well rounded and I rarely over indulge.
Note: I detest diets that emphasise or despise one food or food group - an immediate cult bad science hazard warning; EXCEPT in cases where there is a specific to you medical rationale.

One thing about larger towns and cities in North America is the variety of cuisines on offer in restaurants so that one can try things and build up a list of dishes to make at home. I especially adore mix-matching ethnic dishes in a meal. :)
Note: while I have increasingly downsized meat portions am not about to go vegan or even vegetarian any time soon. I do insist on no hormones, no antibiotics, range fed, non-industrial (local where feasible) slaughter/butchering.
Note: most people forget or haven't yet realised that much of our fruits and vegetables are as industrial a product as our meat. Nor do they understand how (the US especially) countries have diluted the meaning of 'organic' labelling.

Way back when 40 was encroaching and fitness was first problematic I developed my own plan that has been slightly modified over time. I always begin with Tai Chi for slow stretching and (especially as I age! balance), then alternate days:
* strength training with low weight free weights, resistance bands, and traditional body resistance exercises;
* core training especially bridges, planks, exercise ball;
followed by a jog;
Note: I've always wanted to learn speed walking for joint ease but never quite ever get the hang of it.
And finish with cool down stretching via Hatha Yoga.
A short session is an hour, a full session takes an hour and a half.
So I need to take the time and get back in the rhythm because, frankly, I've become a stereotypical pudgy nerd/geek.

My inspiration 'hero':
Yoni Freedhoff, MD, CCFP (Certificant of the College of Family Practice of Canada), donkeyistant (a.ssistant) professor of family medicine at the University of Ottawa.
A persons best weight is whatever weight they reach when theyre living a life they can honestly enjoy

Umm... 'donkey-istant': truth in algo censorship?

5.5 hours of gym per week that includes 10k of running plus Italian food. 18 years of diet but still 100kg!

OK I did not want to get into this post but...   so I am going to be cheeky.

I must be privileged indeed. Have no symptoms of anything. No meds. I do check ingredients on things I buy for the obvious fat, sodium, and sugar (all variations of) but not because I was told to. Have cut Coke and chips, Big McBurglars, and all that as well as most of restaurants (and I can do it better than they can). Have mostly replaced Sodium chloride with Potassium chloride so I still "salt".

Rather than 3 meals, I eat all day. So to be cheeky I am on a seafood diet. I see food, I eat it. And I eat Italian too. Check my family name.

I could lose 20 pounds but then I subscribe to iamlost's
A person's best weight is whatever weight they reach when they're living a life they can honestly enjoy

I've been vegetarian a long time for moral, environmental and health reasons. I think I'd be a lot bigger if I ate meat.

I'm terrible at diets and exercise though. I try to walk a lot, and use the stairs instead of the lift. I also do burlesque classes, which can be quite a workout, and sometimes hit up the gym (while I was unemployed I was going 2-3 times a week). I think being vegetarian and having a partner who can cook well means I eat quite healthily?

Lately I needed to weigh myself, and I'd gone over what I thought I was, but I'm finding it hard to be too bothered. I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm never gonna be totally happy with my body, but that I just can't be arsed to feel bad about it any more. 

iamlost:

I always begin with Tai Chi for slow stretching and (especially as I age! balance),

I love Tai Chi. When I was learning it years ago, I attended classes that were mostly retirees of both genders. They were the funniest people, able to laugh at themselves and made every class hysterical. They were also very good at Tai Chi. My instructor has a video that I use at home to follow along to, since I never go to classes anymore.

bobb:

Rather than 3 meals, I eat all day

That's a recommendation for many people. It would turn me into a blimp but I know it works very well for others. I have Type II diabetes, as a result of having my kids in my mid 30's and becoming gestationally diabetic (it is not hereditary), and my A1C is low because I'm considered someone who manages their diabetes well. We are told to keep eating protein sources often, but again, for me, unless I have a way to burn off a ton of calories, I don't eat all day.

Glyn:

5.5 hours of gym per week that includes 10k of running plus Italian food. 

My daughter traveled to Italy and studied there for a month while in college.  She said they ate constantly but she was healthier than ever (she's a fanatic about what she eats). She said the quality of the food there is so different and she was disappointed to come back here where nothing tasted right compared to Italy.

777nNy:

I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm never gonna be totally happy with my body, 

I wonder if that's a female thing. I'm super critical of myself and just about every woman I know is too. My daughter is a vegetarian. Our family is all over the place. I have 7 people in this farmhouse who all eat differently and I no longer make family dinners unless I know in advance who will be here and what will work for everyone. It's crazy.   We all agree on organic and close to the source as possible, but meat is where we differ.  Grass fed ground beef is permitted and we buy local produce/meat as much as possible. Plus we grow our own. We are raising our own chickens now, and venison is popular with a few folks. 

A friend on Facebook asked if people would eat "lab grown meat".

The responses were interesting. 

Would you?

8 minutes ago, cre8pc said:

A friend on Facebook asked if people would eat "lab grown meat".

The responses were interesting. 

Would you?

Maybe, if I could be certain no animal had been hurt and it came from at least the same country. I've probably been veggie too long now though.

15 minutes ago, cre8pc said:

I wonder if that's a female thing. I'm super critical of myself and just about every woman I know is too. 

It's possible. I mean, it's certainly not exclusively female, but we are often taught to be critical about our bodies (and often with conflicting ideas of what the ideal actually is!). I'm just trying to be realistic about the fact that it's probably only going to get worse from here, and to appreciate what I have now (and in light of my chronic pain issues, appreciate the parts of my body that work well, like my strong legs that I always hated for being too big).

I do need to get fitter, but I think that'll be more about going to the gym and stopping smoking. I don't get on with diets and I never stick to them!

2 hours ago, cre8pc said:

A friend on Facebook asked if people would eat "lab grown meat"

That's a definite no. I'm sure their motivation for making it is well meaning. I see this area ripe for abuse just as much as what is being fed to real animals. As an exaggeration Soylent Green comes to mind. When the need to increase the bottom line is involved you never know..... well we do know.